Currently the women’s division is in a interesting place, we have two new fresh faces as champions with Bianca Belair and Nikki A.S.H. and they are doing terrific jobs this far. However, with the release of so many women superstars, having a women’s tag team division on the main roster does not make much sense at the moment. Tamina & Natalya as a tag team seemed random at first but they ended up meshing well. It would be great if the roster still had other tags such as; Iconics, Bella twins, Riot Squad, Fire & Desire, Bayley & Sasha, Kabuki Warriors, Alexa & Nikki. The thing is, none of those tag teams exist anymore either from breaking up or no longer being with the company. Instead of forming random tag teams that don’t compliment one another WWE should replace the women’s tag team division with a mid-card singles belt. I am a fan of women’s division but having a tag division with the current constructed roster it does not benefit the company at this point.
Committing to someone as world champion is a big deal. Adding this title would allow WWE to test the waters of their women superstars to see if they are built for the responsibility of a champion and would allow the company to push women who they do not see as world champions but still see them as championship worthy, fan favorite superstars especially. In a tag division there are only so many rivalries you can have before you are repeating storylines or throwing random tags together. Women superstars such as; Naomi, Tamina, Sonya Deville, Mandy Rose, Liv Morgan, Dana Brooke, Natalya, Zelina Vega, Carmella, Eva Marie and so many more who may not be in the title picture anytime soon because management does not have evidence or confidence in them to be an successful title holder would benefit from this enormously. This mid-card belt could be that stepping stone for the superstars while still being a huge achievement within itself.
Other benefits of adding a mid-card single’s belt include:
- Allowing women to stay relevant without being a world champion
- You can have tag team matches without having a tag title and they don’t lose much meaning. Mid-card singles matches would mean more by having the title involved
- Having a way to develop or discover mid-card talent as world champion talent
- Allowing fans to see fan favorites hold a title.
- Allowing the women who will always be mid-card to stay motivated to put on good shows and get better because they still have a chance to be a realistic title holder
- If you are bringing a new superstar into the company or bringing a superstar from NXT and want them to hit the ground running but do not want to commit to them a world champion this allows that to happen.
- It gives the women who feel that have already achieved their goals as world champion a new milestone to look forward to. Such as Charlotte Flair & Sasha Banks.
- Giving fans a fresh reason to want to tune in.
Lastly, It’s just time. The women’s division has had some huge milestones in the last decade; from ‘Evolution’, wrestling in Saudi, being the Wrestlemania main event, women’s rumble and so many other achievements. I think we all can agree that for many reasons WWE main roster has had one too many stale storylines or repeated rivalries and too many missing superstar pushes. The historic history of the men’s IC and US title is legendary with some of the names who held that title from; Terry Funk, Ricky Steamboat, Razor Ramon, Jake Roberts, Bret Hart, HHH. It is time to offer that opportunity to the women.